work by anna mccartney

Graduates 2024: Anna Mccartney: Illustration

“Recently we had some industry professionals and alumni from all levels come to talk to us about their practices and journeys, it was so helpful and reassuring to listen to their stories and creative lives.”

I have enjoyed exploring the human connection, creating briefs about silly sleep habits all the way to researching adaptogenic mushrooms. My work is a mix of digital and analogue but I’m always enjoying learning new mediums, like recently, Risograph printing.

What made you choose your course?

“I chose Brighton because for the city life and it’s well-known reputation in having an open definition of illustration, allowing it’s students to explore it freely through various mediums and briefs.”

Can you tell us about your favourite part of your studies and how it helped the development of you and your practice.

“I’ve enjoyed the variation of briefs we receive and how they’ve helped me learn lots of different software like Premiere Pro for a project on Title Sequences. Weekly tutorials have helped me learn to ask for help when I need it and act as a great conversation point to develop my ideas. Recently we had some industry professionals and alumni from all levels come to talk to us about their practices and journeys, it was so helpful and reassuring to listen to their stories and creative lives. We also had Portfolio Reviews alongside this which was a useful activity to boost our social presence and contacts.”

Can you tell us about any staff who particularly inspired you?

“One of my tutors, Claire, was always available to chat for tutorials and really helped me to navigate setting up and developing independent self directed projects. Now leaving university I feel more confident in my own ideas and projects.”

What does Brighton mean to you now?

“Brighton has been an exciting and inspiring place to explore illustration in.  I’ve always felt welcome and will definitely be coming back.”

Can you tell us your plans after graduation?

“I’m hoping to take a year out to travel and expand my portfolio with more personal projects and research on the countries I’m visiting. I’d love to end up as part of an agency or a creative team in the future.”

Finally if you could give your 17 year old self any advice about going to university what would it be?

“You’ll need to learn to enjoy your own company sometimes, first year can be a bit of a rollercoaster but getting outside of your accommodation and exploring the city is such a refreshing way to feel more at home! Support your local cinema! Try out a new restaurant! Enjoy it :)”

Website: https://sketchysketchbook.myportfolio.com/work

Instagram: @annamcc.a.r.t.ney

Find out about studying Illustration at Brighton.

Visit the Summer Shows page