work by megan potter

Graduates 2023: Megan Potter: 3D Design & Craft

“University isn’t as scary as it sounds, and I know it’s a big change, but it really will help you be more independent and help you discover what you’re truly capable of on your own.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“Throughout my practice I have looked at the fascinating creatures found within Sussex folklore, particularly the Knucker dragon; A water dragon that devastated villages in Lyminster. I have decided to use the story of its defeat to make props and illustrate the story to an audience by experimenting with different polymers and metal techniques, creating realistic looking textures and appearances.

“My hope is to convince people of this old tale to be as real as it once was, by displaying them in the perspective of an explorer collecting evidence and artefacts pertaining to the dragons existence. I have displayed the dragon as a centrepiece on the wall representing a trophy head. I would like this series to reflect my capability within my practice in the prop making industry and direct me towards jobs that reflect this type of making and set designing.”

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at University of Brighton on the 3D Design & Craft course. It is a combination of inspiring makers helping and encouraging each other’s projects as well as the frequent availability from technicians to help with any projects you’re working on that use the vast range of facilities available.”

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

“The main reason as to why I came to Brighton was for the large workspaces and facilities however I truly have come to love the Brighton area as it’s full of like-minded people and good summer vibes.”

What are your plans after graduation?

“I plan on continuing my part time work at a local prop company and I’m excited to look at other companies in nearby areas to gain more connections and experiences in the prop making industry.”

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

Follow Megan on Instagram: potters_creations_73

Email Megan at: mpotterscreations@gmail.com

Find out about studying 3D Design & Craft BA(Hons)

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram