Graduates 2023: Altamash Kadri: Graphic Design

“If I needed to give the 16 year old me an advise that will be things take times and things will go your way, so just keep working hard and putting in all you got.”

I am a cross-disciplinary graphic designer based in Brighton, UK, with an interest in printing and packaging design. I am specialized in a wide range of practices from brand identity and editorial design to product design.

My Final project “I Don’t Speak Indian” is a design catalogue for typography enthusiasts and designers. It includes a Devanagari Typographic Manual for understanding the script’s nuances, and “Anupaat,” a type specimen showcasing a custom typeface design which breaks free from the conventional curvatures and embraces a geometric approach and their applications. Explore the beauty and history of Devanagari typography with this inspiring catalogue.

For me, art is something bigger than any one of us. Art is an expression of one’s emotions that cannot be confined to one definition. It takes on endless forms and can be interpreted in multiple ways through diverse perspectives. Creativity is a path of communication that helps you to express yourself in different forms of art where there is no language, but art speaks for itself.

Coming from India a country full of colours, variations of food, different religions, and hundreds of languages, my ways to approach design has been very different but I have had a few experiences working in the field of graphics and fashion. With each experience, I have learned new ways to approach different ways of thinking and problem-solving.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

So I did my foundation at the University of Brighton International College and it gave me to shift directly to the University. The course was good – had its ups and downs – but the faculty has been helpful. Sadly we were the covid batch but we got a strong sense of understanding our work.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

I guess studying in Brighton was quite helpful as the city is quite pretty itself and is easily accessible from London. The city has a loads of students so yes its good to be social and for me Brighton has a loads of inspirations for artist and designers.

So currently I am looking for job as a junior art director or a junior graphic designer in studios in London and New York.

If you could give you 16 year old self any advice about going to University what would it be?

I started my university back in India with studying architecture and then I dropped out because I never saw myself working as an architect in the future. If I needed to give the 16 year old me an advise that will be things take times and things will go your way, so just keep working hard and putting in all you got.

Follow Altamash on Instagram

Website

Find out more about Graphic Design

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram