Graduates 2023: Joseph Humphries: Textiles

“After college I was working in Savile Row, while I was there, I became interested in suiting cloth. I then decided to leave to study textile design, while knowing I wanted to specialise in weave. The best aspect of my course was the full technical cover, ensuring that there was always a technician in the studio to assist you and making sure you where able to get on with your work.”

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

My final year collection (Dystopia) is an autumn winter suiting woven textile collection. The collection is inspired by a range of dystopian media such as Blade runner, Neuromancer and Akira. It questions what suiting fabric might look like under the influence of a dystopian world. I feel this world might only remember traditional suiting through description, and this collection would be the futures interpretation of suiting cloth as we know it. Other inspirations would be the fashion designer Ichiro Suzuki and dashing tweeds.

How have you found your course and what made you choose it?

After college I was working in Savile Row, while I was there, I became interested in suiting cloth. I then decided to leave to study textile design, while knowing I wanted to specialise in weave. The best aspect of my course was the full technical cover, ensuring that there was always a technician in the studio to assist you and making sure you where able to get on with your work.

Was the location of your course in Brighton more important than you thought it would be?

Not necessarily, the University of Brighton seemed to value practice wisdom more than other Universities, and this lined up with my way of learning. That being said, Brighton is a beautiful place, and I can never see myself living away from the sea.

What are your plans after graduation?

I intend to take a year’s break and then do a Masters. In the meantime, I’ll be working for a small weavers based in Sussex. Additionally, I will be returning to a company I interned for. In my spare time I’ll be experimenting with textiles outside of weaving.

If you could give you 16-year-old self any advice about going to university what would it be?

Don’t be afraid to experiment. It’s okay to make bad work, as its that bad work which will see you eventually make amazing work.

Contact Joseph

Find out more about BA(Hons) Textiles Design with Business Studies

Watch out for news about the Graduate Summer Show

Follow the Brighton Summer Shows on Instagram