Graduates 2022: Eva Yu: MA Fine Art

For art students, it is like paradise, the most beautiful city makes me feel the urge to create!

I am a Mongol ethnic Chinese student. My work consists of oil and mixed media painting. My paintings are influenced by Nordic artists such as Helene Schjerfbeck. My paintings are inspired by observations of people’s behaviour and their psychological states which are influenced by the different environments around them. Human contact with an animal or an object appears in my work.

In my work ‘Please stroke my anxious hair’, I represent external support outside and my own effort to soothe my emotions. In the painting, I wish to carefully convey the power of comfort and support through the temperature of the palm of the hands that.

In another work, ‘Stay with me’, I try to express the relationship between a human and a fish. The skin of the fish gives people a very cold, delicate, and unique touch feeling. Fish living in the ocean is the same as humans living in this society. I try to create a moment of them accompanying each other.

I think that studying and living in Brighton can help each other, and the highlight of Brighton is that the beach is so conducive to a creative life! The fine art experience is very focused on the creative process in the studio and has extended opening hours as needed for the course, making my creative life very regular and motivating.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Fine Art?

I found the University of Brighton when I came to Brighton on a trip. For art students, it is like paradise, the most beautiful city makes me feel the urge to create! After the trip I found the Fine Art course. I think Fine Art was the most suitable course for me as I have been able to focus on considering the concept conveyed by the work with tool to serve the expression of intention.

After graduation, my plan is start a business like an online shop to sell artwork and products around my artwork whilst at the same time working with my own studio, continue to create, as well as participate in more exhibitions.

Instagram is : 3eva

Business email: evaqingyu1@gmail.com

Visit the show

Find out more about MA Fine Art