work by tamsin gaul

Graduates 2021: Tamsin Gaul: Illustration

“After attending the open day and seeing previous students’ work, I thought that the course at Brighton would be the best place to create work that was varied, experimental and purposeful.”

Hi Tamsin – please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

“My work spans a range of media including drawing, printmaking, collage, photography, and animation. I particularly enjoy processes that involve a degree of unpredictability, such as blind drawing, as this helps to keep my work spontaneous and imaginative. I enjoy the challenge of visualising sensitive topics such as health and relationships in a subtle and delicate way. As someone who is quite reflective, my work is informed by introspection and observation of my environment. I am also inspired by the atmospheric and emotional qualities of music as well as the visual language of album artwork.”

How have you found your course and your time at Brighton?

“Since first year, I have gained a huge amount of confidence in my practice and my ability to work independently. Throughout, there has been the freedom to experiment with a range of processes and to explore all aspects of illustration. Thanks to guidance from tutors and feedback from my peers, I have a better understanding of how visual choices communicate certain ideas. Although it has been hard work, it has been wonderful to see such varied and exciting work going on around me.”

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Illustration?

“After studying on an art foundation course, I realised that my work existed somewhere in between fine art and graphic design. I thought that Illustration would allow me to explore both sides of my interests. After attending the open day and seeing previous students’ work, I thought that the course at Brighton would be the best place to create work that was varied, experimental and purposeful.”

“I hope to work as a freelance illustrator in the future so I will be working on the way I present myself professionally. I plan to sell some of my original monotypes online, and I will continue to work on personal projects throughout the summer.”

Visit Tamsin’s website: www.tamsingaul.com