crop dan woodger brighton image

Illustrator creates exclusive Brighton image

Dan Woodger, who graduated in 2011 and now counts Google, Samsung and the New York Times as clients, has created an original ‘Brighton’ image for his former university. We approached Dan about creating an image in his signature style that represented Brighton and are super-grateful for the result, a pop-art, character-based image featuring both Brighton piers.

Dan, who studied Illustration BA(Hons) under Roderick Mills, still course leader, says of his time at Brighton:

“The tuition is superb and the talent pool there is exceptional. I’ll never forget my first day and thinking how much better everyone else’s work seemed in comparison to mine. It really made me push that extra bit harder in order to keep up and stand out!

brighton illustration by dan woodger

“At Brighton, the tutors always place an emphasis on experimentation and exploration of mediums, processes and ideas. When I started, I was trying so hard to prove I was good at drawing that I forgot to think about what I was drawing. I was creating incredibly detailed still life pencil drawings with very little context when I arrived.

“The tutors at Brighton encouraged me to concentrate on idea generation first and insisted the style should follow. Over time I realised my better ideas usually involved an element of humour. After many different explorations of style, I realised characters provided the perfect vehicle for that humour and that’s how I arrived upon the more character based work I do today.”

The image will be used in publicity for the University of Brighton. Thank you Dan!

Visit Dan’s website

Follow Dan on Instagram