H&M is a Swedish multinational clothing-retail company known for its fast fashion clothing for men, women, teenagers and children. H&M and its associated companies operate in 62 countries with over 4,500 stores and as of 2015 employed around 132,000 people. It is the second-largest global clothing retailer, just behind Zara. The company has a significant online presence, with online shopping available in 33 countries
The main role of the H&M online page is to act as a transnational website. This means that potential customers are able to browse and purchase H&Ms goods online and have them delivered to a convenient location. It is vital for organisations within the fashion sector to offer a service like this in order to attract more customers as less individuals visit conventional ‘bricks and mortar’ shops with some businesses being completely run online.
The two main competitors of H&M are Zara and Asos. Both companies operate globally with huge customer bases
Zara is a Spanish owned “fast fashion” company with over 10,000 stores worldwide. The companies target market is similar to that of H&M offering fashionable cloths at an affordable price to young teens and adults. They are well known for offering similar styles of higher end clothing at a much cheaper price
Asos is different to H&M as they operate completely online with no “brick and mortar” stores. The quality of their products is not as good as Zara and H&M however the price of their clothing is considerably less.
H&M is one of the leading fashion companies worldwide. H&M market their products at both men and women from the ages 14 and up focusing on those who are somewhat price conscious. At the same time however H&M group their customers as a market who are aware and possibly following current fashion trends of the relevant season. Consumers generally use a search engine such as google or Bing and will type key phrases in order to locate the to website e.g. H&M or H&M.com. Once this key phrase has been entered the website will appear as the first option to choose this will link them to the main website. At this point the website will have secondary links to follow. This is so that if the consumer knows what part of the website they want to access they can do so quickly without needing to access the home page first.
Persona 1 –Tony
- A college Student
- Studying for his a-levels
- He lives with his mother, father, and tow brothers.
- Male, 18 years old and living in essex
- Works part time at a cafe
- Earns the minimum wage.
- Prefers to communicate over phone or through social media.
- Attain grade good enough to attend his first choice university
The challenges he may face-
- Coursework deadline and workload when it comes to revising
- Ensuring she can keep he job while also balancing her social and school life
What can be done to help-?
- Creating a timetable where he fits in revision around his job and social life
Marketing message- Time planner
Elevator pitch- Plan on what assignments can be done first and later on.
- A marketing intern working for a year in between year 2 and 3 of uni
- Wants to be offered a full time roll at the company after her internship
- Lives in a shared house with 3 other interns in London
- Female, 21 from Portsmouth
- Annual Income of £21,000
- Enjoys fashion
- Doesn’t enjoy communicating over social media prefers emails or texts
- Obtain a job offer from her company and return to uni and graduate with a first.
The challenges she may face-
- getting the job over other interns at the company
- If she gets the job offer obtaining the grades she needs
What can be done to help?-
- Making sure she is motivated and working hard in her role at the company
- Arrange meetings with her manager to talk about the possibility of getting the role
H&M. (2019). Fashion and quality clothing at the best price | H&M GB. [online] Available at: https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/index.html [Accessed 12 Mar. 2019].
The Independent. (2019). 100 best online clothes shops. [online] Available at: https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/best-online-clothes-shops-women-men-luxury-budget-vintage-discount-8092852.html [Accessed 12 Mar. 2019].