Mind Mapping

I decided to use a mind map for the DP403 projects research analysis and wanted to record the process for future reference.

Looking online there are several good mind mapping software but due to the ability to have a free trial I went with iMindMap.

The first step is to choose a theme similar to creating a website, which determines the types of branches and what they look like. Choosing an image or icon for the central idea was next, before creating the first branches which are the main focuses of your mind map. This was a relatively simple process which was a good foothold to start mapping the research.

Adding the detail into the mind map was done by further branches coming off from the original images. This is again easily done with the software. Further branches with boxes were added where more clarification was needed.

Feeling were incorporated into the mind map with the use of emojis. This clearly showed the thought and feeling which were recorded in the surveys and interviews.

The links between posts were created by using lines and the light bulb indicates possible ideas or innovations.

Overall I felt that the mind mapping software was good but not for initial mind maps. The best method would be to draw it by hand and then beautify it on the software. Drawing a mind map by hand is so much quicker and easier to add to and create links, between things. I will be trying the affinity method for all of my other research as I’ve never tried that and think it would be good to try a new method.

Strengths:

Professional looking and easy to change and move around objects

Weaknesses:

Slower than hand drawn

Opportunities:

Improving with software allows them to be produced quicker and with better graphics and with a more effective message

Threats: