Weʼre raising money to help support University of Brighton UCU members in financial difficulty as a result of industrial action in 2021-22
Management at the University of Brighton are threatening to deduct 100% pay for each day that members participate in a Marking and Assessment Boycott.
Please make donations directly by bank transfer to:
UCU University of Brighton SO224
Account no. 40000280
Sort code. 608301
Unity Trust Bank
Or through our JustGiving page
If you make a donation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can reply to say thank you on behalf of our members.
About the Four Fights Dispute
Brighton UCU is part of national action being undertaken by the University and College Union (UCU) including strikes that have taken place in 2021 and 2022 and a marking and assessment boycott from 23 May 2022 onwards.
The background to this industrial action is summed up by these points: In higher education in the UK…
- the pay gap between Black and white staff is 17%
- women are paid on average 15.1% less than men
- the disability pay gap is 9%
- salaries have fallen against inflation by over 20% since 2009
- academic staff work over 50 hours during a typical week
- four fifths of staff report struggling with workload and poor mental health
- a third of all academic staff are on fixed-term contracts
This is unacceptable.
What the Four Fights action is about
The industrial action is intended to force the employers who run higher education to improve the situation in four specific areas:
How your donation will help
Losing pay isn’t easy for anyone. The funds raised will be distributed amongst striking members who are suffering particular financial hardship. Focusing on those who most in need.
How to claim
See information in Point 5 of this post.