St Ives residential trip – Feb 2024
At the request of UBATO members we have organised a residential art trip to St Ives in 2024 to coincide with the February half-term. We chose St Ives as it has been recognised throughout modern art history for its artistic inspiration.
- Monday 12 February to Thursday 15 February
- £200 per person
The residential trip will broaden your art skills and help you gain an understanding of how to use galleries for teaching art and design, and how to run a residential trip with your own students. There will also be lots of opportunities to explore St Ives from an artist teacher perspective.
- Three nights accommodation at the Cohort Hostel in St Ives, Cornwall
- Bed and breakfast each day plus two evening meals – self-catering facilities are available for the other evenings if desired
- Entry to galleries and museums
- two creative workshops
There are 15 places available. To secure your place a non-refundable £80 deposit* is required by 30 September. Further £60 payments are due by 30 November and 31 January. Pay your deposit now and secure your place
If you have any questions about the residential trip please contact Julie Howard: firstname.lastname@example.org
* for the trip to go ahead we need a minimum of 12 people. If numbers do not make it viable and UBATO make the decision to cancel the trip all deposits will be refunded.
Monday 12 February
- Travelling to St Ives
- 6pm – evening meal at accommodation
- 7pm – Melodies of Cornwall musical session
Tuesday 13 February
- Morning – Greg Humphries morning workshop: sketching St Ives, sand sculptures
- Afternoon – Leach Pottery visit
- Evening – free time to explore St Ives
Optional hand throwing pottery workshop costing £50 or self-led workshop teacher ideas in St Ives
Wednesday 14 February
- Morning – Tate St Ives gallery visit
- Afternoon – Barbara Hepworth Museum visit
- Evening – group social meal in St Ives
Optional extra painting workshop at St Ives School of Painting costing £25 – £50
Thursday 15 February
- Travelling home
There are also opportunities for extra visits on the way to and from St Ives:
- Jackson Foundation Gallery – 40 minute drive from St Ives
- The Eden Project
- Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens
- Newlyn Art Gallery – Penzance
- Pennlee House and Gallery – Penzance
Car sharing option
- Splitting the cost of petrol and car parking with others attending the trip
- There are three local car parks in St Ives – £8 for 24 hours
- The closest mainline train to St Ives is St Erth – this takes around 5 hours from Brighton
- Trains run from St Erth to St Ives every 20 minutes. The station is a 5 minute walk to the hostel.
- Booking in advance and taking advantage of railcards should offer cheaper prices.
- National Express coaches run from Brighton to Hayle via London Victoria. We will arrange transportation from Hayle to St Ives for those who need it.
- booking in advance should offer cheaper prices.
Once you arrive in St Ives everything is in walking distance.