What are the recommended workflows for anonymous marking?
Within My Studies, there are two main methods of electronic submission of assessment – Turnitin and the My Studies Assignment tool. This FAQ deals only with My Studies Assignments, NOT with Turnitin workflows.
Our recommended workflow when grading My Studies assignments is to use the ‘Mark with usernames hidden’ feature. This allows a marker to mark student work anonymously, but have the flexibility to see student names when required.
Note that this feature is not suitable when multiple markers are required to mark a subset of submissions.
How to use the ‘Mark with usernames hidden’ feature
Frequently Asked Questions
- Yes – but ensure you have saved any marking by clicking the Submit button. At this point the next submission will be displayed, but you can user the naviation arrows in the banner to return to the previous submission
- Then simply click the ‘Show Usernames’ button on the right hand side when marking a paper. The page will refresh and display the student name
- To switch back to marking anonymously, simply click the same button which will now appear as ‘Hide Usernames’
If I use Group Smart Views in the Grade Centre, can just mark a group of students with their names hidden?
- Yes – although there is a bug with this feature. See below:
- Go to Grade Centre and access the Smart View (e.g. Control Panel > Full Grade Centre > Group 1)
- Follow the instructions above to mark with usernames hidden
- On the first time you attempt this, the system will ignore the smart view and show you all students to mark (you can see this because at the top of the banner it will list the number of submissions, which will be far lrager than you expect!)
- Repeat by going back to grade centre, again access the chosen smart view and start marking with usernames hidden. This time the smart view is respected and you will only see the students you need to mark.
Why can see a grey circle next to a submission?
Because you have allowed multiple attempts, and the student has submitted more than once. Any older submissions are marked as ‘exempt’ (so you don’t mark them). You can however view these exempt attempts if required.
Can I get some advice on using the My Studies assignment tool?
- If you have any specific questions please get in touch with your Learning Technologies Adviser.