How to add students and other staff as members of your Team
You can add team members manually or provide a Team code and allow people to join by themselves. If you have many team members to add you might prefer to create a Team code and share this with the members so that they can join for themselves (recommended for large numbers).
NOTE – we recommend manually adding at least one other member of staff and make them an owner, this means there is a back up admin for the team.
Using a Team code to enable members to add themselves
If you have many people to add as members to a Team you can generate a code that people can use to add themselves as members to your Team. You can share the code with students or staff using email or My Studies. Please note you cannot create a team code using the mobile app. You must use either the PC/Mac app, or access Teams via the web on a PC/Mac to generate a code.
This video shows you how to share a code for people to use to join your Team as members.
The Team code you need to share is available from the Manage Teams menu and this is shown in the previous video.
Manually add member(s) or External colleagues (Do not do this for STUDENTS, continue down this page for student Teams enrollment options.)
You manually add members to a Team using the Manage Team menu. You can do this on all devices. There is a specific page here about adding external users and what permissions they have in Teams
You should ensure at least one other member of staff is added to your Team and set as an owner in case of illness.
- Click the Teams menu (ellipsis …) (1)
- Select Manage Team
- Select the members tab (3)
- Click Add Members (4)
- In the text box that appears, begin typing the name or names of people you wish to add to your Team. You can add several members at once
- Click Add to add the member(s) to your Team.
- At this point you can change someone’s role from ‘member’ to ‘owner’ if required. You should ensure at least one other member of staff is added to your Team and set as an owner in case of illness.
Mobile users: You can perform the same function in the mobile app:
- Tap the Teams in the main menu at the bottom of your screen
- Tap the 3 dots icon next to the team you wish to edit
- Tap Manage Members
- Tap the person icon (next to Team Members title)
- You can now add users by name
- At this point you can change someone’s role from ‘member’ to ‘owner’ if required.
How to join a Team with a Teams code
The video below shows how students or staff join the Team with the code you have provided.
- This video shows you how to join a Team using a Team code that you have been given.
- There are also instructions on this page, which covers how to do this on both desktop and mobile versions
What to tell students
Post an announcement in the My Studies module area to let students know about your online session and how to join. Suggested text is:
Due to Covid-Secure arrangements, the lecture on [PASTE LECTURE DETAILS HERE] will take place online using Microsoft Teams at [INSERT DATE HERE] at [INSERT TIME HERE] on our module MS Team.
Instructions on how to join Teams: https://mediastream.brighton.ac.uk/Play/28377
The Team code for this module is: [PASTE JOIN CODE HERE]
Email example when using multiple teams with groups of students
This email example is included with permission of Erika Thorne in School of Health Sciences and demonstrates how to write an engaging announcement to get students into the correct team area when you are working with multiple student groups and lecturers.
Scheduling lectures/meetings with students
The reason for this is that staff use Microsoft Exchange Email hosted on premise, so most of the built in Teams meeting and calendar features do not apply.