A Practice Supervisor
Practice supervisors’ role is to support and supervise nursing and midwifery students in the practice learning environment. All students must be supervised while learning in practice environments (NMC. 2018)
- Contribute to the student’s record of achievement
- Raise and record relevant observations of conduct, proficiency, and achievements of the student
- Discuss and plan student progression working through skills
- Have sufficient opportunities to engage with practice assessors and academic assessors to share relevant observations on the conduct, proficiency, and achievement of the students they are supervising
- Support and supervise students in elements of care
A Practice Assessor
Practice assessors conduct assessments to confirm student achievement of proficiencies and program outcomes for practice learning…. assessment decisions by practice assessors are informed by feedback sought and received from practice supervisors” (NMC, 2018 7.1 & 7.2).
- PA to assess and confirm the student’s achievement of practice learning for a placement or a series of placements
- Discuss spokes and plan of goals to be achieved whilst on placement
- PA does not need to be physically based or employed in each or any of the environments in which the student is placed
- PA assesses a student’s overall performance and completes the First, Midpoint, and final interviews
- To assess and discuss proficiencies and programs to be met and if they display the required values of their profession
- They must have sufficient opportunities to observe the student across environments in order to inform their decisions. Currently, due to the pressure of Covid-19, a student is able to work with PS’s and not just PA’s across departments
This is a great section on the RCN website regarding Practice supervision, coaching skills and developing a student learning culture.
- 32 hour placement hours per week
- Break and lunch are included in daily hours:
- Long day/ night shift 12.5hrs
- The shift can be Long days, nights, and half
- shifts ( AM/PM).
- EBL – counts for 4 hrs x2 SIM – NI616 counts 6hrs
This is a great new resource from HEE and SkillsforCare How-to-make-the-most-of-student-nurse-placements-in-social-care-settings