Mental Health Awareness Week 2023
From 15 to 21 May, this year’s Mental Health Awareness Week will be taking place, during which a series of events will be running to help signpost support services and encourage conversation among students. All week, Sport Brighton will be offering free activities to get students active, with a range of events scheduled for each day, including dog walks, social meet-ups, and talks with your SSGT’s.
Your mental health and wellbeing are always our priority. Whatever difficulties you might be facing there is support in place to help you.
Sport Brighton will be offering some free activities to get you active:
- Monday – Friday at 2-3pm – Free sports equipment hire Falmer sports centre, students will be able to turn up to the sports centre and book out sport equipment for free, to use on the synthetic turf pitch and outdoor tennis and netball courts. Students will need to bring their student ID to do this.
- All week – Eastbourne sport centre, there will be table tennis set up in the sport centre all week, for use during the daytime. Bats and balls will be available from reception to use.
- Parklife social sport sessions will be running as normal throughout this week for only £1-2, so check the live timetable or Sport Brighton app for a full list of sessions running.
- All week – Moulsecoomb Mithras House, Chat to the Design and Architecture Student Society about what their student society does and share new ideas. Also, get advice and free resources about managing anxiety and how your SSGT and wider university services can help.
- Tuesday 16 May – Chat with i-Rock Support and Advice for young people in East Sussex, 11am – 2pm Moulsecoomb campus outside Aldrich library mezzanine Cockcroft. IROCK are a young peoples charity equipped with a range of expertise to share knowledge and resources to help with mental health worries, housing issues, employment, studying concerns or anything else that may be on your mind.
- Wednesday 17 May – Afternoon tea 2.30pm-4.00pm Moulsecoomb campus, Huxley Building lobby, join us for a relaxed opportunity to take a break from revision and spend time with other students over a cuppa, cake and crafts.
Wednesday 17 May – ‘Walk my dog’ 1pm-2pm Eastbourne campus, meet outside Queenwood library to join us on a walk across the local countryside and take the lead with one of our dogs.
Wednesday 17 May – SSGT stand 12pm-2pm Moulsecoomb campus, meet your SSGTs outside Aldrich library, pick up some FREE Parklife vouchers, fruit and other goodies and share your tips on managing anxiety.
- Thursday 18 May – ‘Walk my dog’ 1pm-2pm City campus, meet in Grand Parade quad and stroll along the beach with other students and our friendly dogs.
- Thursday 18 May – Community social Brighton SU Hub Meet up, 12pm-2pm, Falmer campus chat and do some crafts with other students, your SSGTs and enjoy free refreshments.
Friday 19 May, ‘Walk my dog’ 1pm-2pm Moulsecoomb campus, meet outside Manor House campus, join us on a stroll across the local countryside and take the lead with one of our dogs.
- Friday 19 May, ‘Walk my dog’ 3pm-4pm Falmer campus, meet outside Checkland building and walk our friendly dogs in the nearby countryside.
- Sunday 21, Learn to skateboard, there are 3, 45-minute sessions available to book from – 2.15-3pm, 3.15-4pm, 4.15-4pm in the sports hall. You must pre-book your place here.