Student News and Events

News and events for University of Brighton students

Remember: you need voter ID

Make your student vote count in the local elections

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023. Your student ID card is not an accepted form of identification.

Why should I vote in the Local Elections?

As a UK student, it’s essential to vote in local elections because local councils make decisions that directly impact your daily life, such as housing, transportation, and education policies.

Local elections are an opportunity to choose representatives who will represent your interests and make decisions that align with your beliefs.

Additionally, they can also have an impact on national politics and can help to shape the direction of the country. By voting, you can play an active role in shaping your community and making a difference in the issues that matter to you.

Remember to register to voteHave you registered to vote yet?

Got 5 minutes? Register to vote in UK elections if you’ve never registered before, have moved house or have changed your name.

The deadline to register to vote in these elections is 11:59pm on Monday 17 April.

Register to vote now

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. The closing date to apply for this is Tuesday 25 April.

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send this to the electoral services team at your local council.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact your local council. To find their contact details visit

Apply for a free voter ID dcoument (VAC)

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

electionsidentityregister to voteStudent Voicevoting

Robin Coleman • 10 April 2023

Previous Post

Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *