Things to do in Brighton over the festive period – 2022
If you are in Brighton or Eastbourne over the festive period, check out some of the fun events happening around the city and at the university, put together by our residential wellbeing team. If you are staying locally over the Christmas break familiarise yourself with your support network.
- Brighton Christmas Market at St Peters Plaza 18 November – 24 December has stalls selling unique and interesting gifts, an Apres-ski bar and live entertainment plus fun-fair rides.
- Artist Open Houses at Christmas 26 November – 11 December
Artists Open Houses offer you the unique opportunity to visit artists in their homes and studios and to buy work directly from them. At various locations around Brighton and Hove.
- North Laine Late Night Christmas Shopping 7 and 14 December, 18:00 – 21:00 with
over 80 of Brighton’s independent shops and cafes will stay open until 9pm to welcome festive shoppers Within the North Laine area.
- Eastbourne Music Centre Christmas Concert 10 December 18:30 – 20:00 join students from Eastbourne Music Centre ensembles for an end of term celebration of their musical achievements so far.
- Free Festive Fun Day at the Brighton Dome 10 December 10:00 – 16:30 Concert Hall. Enjoy a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie as you explore crafts tables, stalls, workshops and tours in this festive event. Taking inspiration from Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, this year’s Festive Fun Day celebrates the glorious past, present, and future of Brighton Dome.
- Brighton Student Union Christmas Wreath Making 13 December 14:00 to 16:00 at The Venue. Book your place with a refundable £5 deposit.
- Christmas dinner University of Brighton 14 December, where the Residential Wellbeing Team is coordinating a potluck dinner at Varley Park on Christmas Day for all halls residents that are staying over the festive period. Each guest is asked to contribute a dish to be shared with the group. If you would like to find out more and book your place, please email the Residential Wellbeing Team email@example.com before Wednesday 14 December.
- Ice skating in Eastbourne 1 December – 8 January, fully covered rink at Enterprise Shopping Centre, Eastbourne.
Brighton Royal Pavilion Ice Skating 29 October – 8 January. Ice skating in a sparkly, picturesque setting. The UK’s most famous Christmas ice rink by the beautiful Royal Pavilion.
- Eastbourne Christmas Market 15 – 18 December, stop off at the Eastbourne Christmas Market for a chance to feel very Christmassy with lots of stalls, live entertainment, and fairground rides to enjoy.
- Churchill Square Late Night Shopping from 16 December at Churchill Square, check the website for times and dates.
- Christmas Market 17 December 09:00 – 15:00 Christmas festivities and a market at The Pepper Pot, Queens Park.
- Carols By Candlelight 18 December, 18:30 St. Peter’s Church, Brighton.
- Brighton Student Unions Film Screening 19 December, 16:00 -18.30, showing The Muppet Christmas Carol at Fabrica, 40 Duke Street.
- Burning of the Clocks 21 December, starting at 18.30 near the Pavilion and Brighton Dome. A unique Brighton traditional parade celebrating the shortest day of the year. With lanterns and fantasy costumes, the parade winds its way through Brighton town and along the seafront.
- Midnight Mass 24 December, 23.00 St. Peter’s Church, Brighton.
International student events
- Free Eastbourne Christmas crafting brunch 19 December 11:00-12:30 Sprinters Restaurant. Join the International team for a festive craft session making decorations and decorating gingerbread biscuits, while enjoying hot drinks, pastries and fruit. All materials will be provided and this event is free. Hosted by Cath Pick, SSGT School of Sport and Health Sciences, and Sarah Herbert, International Student Support Officer. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your place.
Guided Tour of the Royal Pavilion 20 December 10:45-12:00 as a festive treat our International team have arranged a guided tour of the magnificent Royal Pavilion. See the home of Prince George IV and learn about its history through the ages. The ticket price and guided tour costs are subsidised by the International Advice and Support team and cost £5 rather than £16.50. Book online by 17.00 on Thursday 15th December.
- Ice Skating at the Royal Pavilion Ice Rink 20 December 11.00 -12.00 join the International team for an ice-skating session at the iconic Royal Pavilion rink. The tickets price is subsidised by the International Advice and Support team and cost £5 (rather than the usual £14). Book online by 09.00 on Tuesday 13 December.