Student News and Events

News and events for University of Brighton students

Question amrk lightbox

Starting uni – our most asked questions answered!

Starting university can be overwhelming with new experiences, new location, even a new culture to discover. We provide a huge range of services which you may need immediately whilst you begin your academic journey with us.

Here’s a number of frequently asked questions we’ve received via our Student Ambassadors that we hope will help others. We’ll keep growing this list and maybe in the comments you can suggest your own. Here we go!

IT, email and timetables

I’ve forgotten my user id and/or password

Your user id is usually your initials and a number combined e.g. gbz123. Your password can be reset using the MyInfo site.

Where can I see my university emails?

Logon to My Brighton. Your course leaders, teaching staff and the university will send you updates so check your emails here regularly. Check out previous ‘all student’ emails if you might have missed some. Your uni email will be made up of your first name initital and family name e.g. g.zepher@uni.brighton.ac.uk See Your University Email for more details.

Why can’t I see my timetable?

If My Brighton does not display your timetable at all then you’ll need to contact your school office. You might not have enrolled so make sure you’ve completed this using Student View.

How do I contact the IT department?

The IT Service Desk can be contacted by phone: +44 (0)1273 644444 or by email: servicedesk@brighton.ac.uk

You can also access the Information Services website for any advice and information.

Getting to university

What’s the best way to get onto the campus?

Walking or cycling is easy if living within Brighton, Eastbourne or within our halls. If you’re based at one of our Brighton campuses (sorry Eastbourne) then you can use our free shuttle bus, UB1 between City, Moulsecoomb , Varley Park and Falmer. It operates Monday to Friday throughout term-time during the day. Rememeber to show your unicard.

Brighton and Hove Buses operate buses in Brighton and Hove, serving our City, Moulsecoomb and Falmer campuses and Varley Park halls. Buy discounted student tickets on the app or the ‘Key’ smartcard for cheaper travel.

For Eastbourne students, Stagecoach operates buses in Eastbourne, Hastings and the surrounding areas. Although Stagecoach does not offer student discounts locally, they do offer many ticket options for cheaper fares. Check out the Stagecoach website for further details.

For further afield, Southern Rail connects our campuses by train, operating services between the Brighton campuses and Eastbourne and offer a monthly, weekly or quarterly heavily discounted student ticket called Unizone which gives you unlimited travel in the Unizone area. To purchase the Unizone you’ll need a 16-25 Railcard and a TOTUM card. See Southern Rail for more info.

Can I drive to the campus and park my car?

There is limited parking on campus and eligible students must apply for and have an approved E-Permit to park, in line with our Car Parking and Permit Application Policy. For student E-Permit holders there are no parking charges. Find out more about parking on campus and if you think you are eligible, apply online with your university email address. Parking on the streets around the campuses is discouraged as the local community rely on these spaces. Owners must check local restrictions and accept any parking fines are their own responsbility.

When you’re on the campus

How do I connect to the wi-fi?

Eduroam is the university wi-fi network and can be set up once for automatic connection to your device. Check out our Getting Connected guide.

See ‘I’ve forgotten my user id and/or password’ if you need help here.

Where do I pick up my unicard?

Students should visit their normal campus Student Information Desk. Make sure you bring your ID.  Halls students should have picked up their unicard at the same time as moving in.

How to get a replacement unicard?

To request a replacement card contact studentservices@brighton.ac.uk.

Please note that there is a £5 charge for a replacement card. Find out more about unicards.

Where are the school offices located?

See all the Schools’ contacts

Where are the classrooms?

Your timetable will provide this information via My Brighton. Maps can be found on My Brighton too under ‘Maps + Travel’.

Where are the libraries?

• City campus – St Peters House Library 16-18 Richmond Place, Brighton, BN2 9NA
  • Eastbourne campus – Queenwood Library, Darley Road, Eastbourne, BN20 7UN
  • Falmer campus – Falmer Library, Village Way, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9PH
  • Moulsecoomb campus – Aldrich Library, Cockcroft Building, Lewes Road

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

answerscampusemailfaqshelpmapsMy Brightonquestionstimetableunicard

Robin Coleman • 27 September 2022