News and events for University of Brighton students

Falmer campus car park
14

Proposed car parking permit charges

To offset the cost of car parking provision across the university estate, a decision has been taken to introduce car parking permit charges.

Charges will be introduced from Monday 23 September 2019 and apply to the following campuses and halls:

• Falmer
  • Moulsecoomb
  • Eastbourne
  • City (Grand Parade)
  • Phoenix Halls (Residences)
  • Moulsecoomb Place Halls (Residences)
  • Varley Park (Residences)

Proposed charges have been benchmarked and would bring the university into line with the majority of higher education institutions in the country, as well aligning with the university sustainability aims to help reduce carbon emissions and improve air quality.

Recognising the wide variety of staff and student circumstances, we have produced an equality impact review which has been used to inform the proposals.

Click here to view the proposal document (PDF).

Consultation

We would like your feedback on the charging proposals to ensure they are as fair, equitable and considered as possible.

A consultation will run between 16 May and 6 June.

Please click here to provide us with your feedback.

Charge overview

It is proposed that students can pay for parking permits in a number of ways. Please review the list below to see how the charges would affect you.

There are three options for students:

1. Pay for four hours – a charge of £1.00 (payable by app or telephone)
  2. Pay per day – a charge of £1.30 (payable by app or telephone)
  3. Pay annually – a charge of £125 (payable via a ‘one off’ card payment)

FAQs

Please click here to find a list of frequently asked questions (PDF).

This document will be kept updated throughout the course of the project.

Contact

Should you have any questions about the proposal or the consultation process please contact InternalCommunications@brighton.ac.uk

Robin Coleman • May 16, 2019

Comments

1. Frances Edwards May 17, 2019 - 1:06 pm Reply

I think this is disgraceful. With a nursing degree we have already lost our bursary. I have a child with autism and may need to get to him quickly so walking from distant parking or getting a train isn’t really an option some days. The cost is too much for someone like me.

2. Anon May 27, 2019 - 5:08 pm Reply

It’s a very sad day indeed when students have to pay for parking on top of their other expenses, especially those with no other option such as taking children to school etc.

3. jason denny May 31, 2019 - 11:16 am Reply

What a shame

My MBA costs 15K and you want to charge for car-parking?

That said I can no longer get a permit anywhere close so I park behind Mithras House which is free of charge.

4. E May 31, 2019 - 11:51 am Reply

Its sad to see your now going to start charging those who need to drive to the university. I personally don’t think that will act as a deterrent as many drive because they have to and already pay a substantial amount to be on the road (Tax, MOT, Insurance, Local Parking permit….). However, the charges are very reasonable in my opinion but, are still less than a bus fare……

5. chris June 2, 2019 - 6:39 pm Reply

From my point of view. I think is unwise to introduce the car parking charges. 75% of student are struggling to meet up with their expenses and couple with the car parking charge is just unreasonable. It cost me £150 to fuel my car to commute to my placement and I do not get paid for it. Pls I do implore the authority to re visit this issue of car parking charges.

6. Amelia June 6, 2019 - 12:48 pm Reply

I think this is disgraceful. I’m part of a society who train at falmer 3 days a week. This extra cost of attending is consequently making me reconsider whether I can afford to even continue being part of this society. Please rethink this for the sake of the students.

7. L June 6, 2019 - 2:00 pm Reply

Asking students to pay for parking isn’t really fair considering the debt that they are already in from their loans and the maintenance loan is supposed to be used for living costs, not for a car park.

The charges aren’t as steep as i expected though, but my concern would be whether you were guaranteed a parking space or not. As if you pay annually and there are no spaces that would be unfair.

8. A. Adam Osamn June 7, 2019 - 1:19 pm Reply

This a disgraceful,and its disgusting to charge students who already going to incur over 30,000£ in loan, we have to spend on petrol and now you just thinking of milking more out of the students to satisfy your side. I wonder what else we should worry about, charge more in the canteens, oh wait you already do that. This is not fair, i am struggling financially as it is.