Student News and Events

News and events for University of Brighton students

The Breakthrough Awards 2017

The University of Brighton’s Breakthrough Awards are open as an opportunity for your hard work and entrepreneurship to be recognised. 

The awards have been made possible through the generosity of former students and local businesses. These supporters have worked with the Alumni Association to create the Breakthrough Awards and help you make the most of your course. Each award is worth £500 to recognise excellence in both academic courses and extracurricular activities. 

The Harvey Goldsmith Breakthrough Award

The Harvey Goldsmith Breakthrough Award for Entrepreneurship is available to first and second year students who can demonstrate outstanding entrepreneurial achievement. Harvey Goldsmith CBE is a legendary producer and rock concert promoter who studied pharmacy at the university.

The JC Reid Breakthrough Award

The JC Reid Breakthrough Award for Business Creation is for students who have taken the steps to establish a business or social venture. Set up by Brighton alumnus JC Reid, founder of Skint Records, the awards are open to first and second year students who have been trading for at least six months.

The Roger Cowdrey Breakthrough Award

The Roger Cowdrey Breakthrough Award for Entrepreneurship in the Arts is open to undergraduate or postgraduate students whose enterprises demonstrate outstanding creativity, innovation and market potential. Brighton alumnus Roger, is an international business consultant, writer and motivational speaker.

You can find out more about the Breakthrough Awards and how to apply here.

Our previous winners

“The prize money comes as a great relief and an incentive to push myself ever further and perform as well as I can.” Eugene – winner of the ZSTa Architecture BA(Hons) Breakthrough Award

“I found a passion in law which has been supported by the university and has allowed me to grow as a person and as an academic. I support myself through student loans and a part-time job so money has been very tight. The prize money will allow some breathing space to concentrate on my studies.” Nick – winner of the DMH Stallard Law with Business LLB(Hons) Breakthrough Award

“This award has given me a huge boost in confidence as it shows that I am performing well and so has given me further encouragement to continue to work hard through the remainder of my degree.” Lucy – winner of the Laine Pub Company International Hospitality Management BA(Hons) Breakthrough Award

Keep your eyes open for other awards and prizes available through the University of Brighton Alumni Association throughout the academic year.

Samantha Paget • 24 May 2017