Student News and Events

News and events for University of Brighton students

What’s it like to be the Student Employee of the Year?

We’ve interviewed Dan who studied Education and English Literature at the Hastings campus, starting in 2011 and graduating in 2014. He won a SEOTY award in 2013 for his hard work with the Marketing and Communications department and now works at EF, the language school, in London.

Why were you nominated for a SEOTY award?

I was nominated for my work as a Social Media/Student/Widening Participation Ambassador and being involved in the pilot project of usDANing Social Media to communicate with prospective students.

How did it feel to be nominated and to win the SEOTY On Campus award?

Amazing. It was also incredibly humbling to see that my hard work had paid off and also that it had been noticed my by line manager and other staff at the university.

How has winning an award helped you since? Have any employers asked you about it?

Potential employers have asked me about in interview and have commented on how commendable it is.

What did you enjoy about working for the uni when you were here?

It allowed me to develop new skills in marketing and communications, but it also gave me the confidence publicly speak, build rapport with many different people and overall, helped me become a better communicator.

What advice do you have for students about how they could get nominated?

Don’t be afraid of any challenges that you may face, if you are unsure ask for clarification, but always put your university work first. It’s very admirable to work whilst you study and is a great opportunity to build your confidence and CV but your assignments are more important than a job. That said, when you’re at work show willing, be really nice and friendly and drop some hints about the awards!

How the university equipped you for life after graduation?

It provided me with valuable time management skills that are vital in my current role. Working under pressure to tight deadlines can be quite difficult but learning to prioritise and manage time effectively is something I picked up whilst at uni. I also loved my course; the modules were so varied and we explored areas I had never considered before.

How did you end up in your job at EF?

I found out about the company through by using the university’s Vacancy Service as I was looking for a summer job in Hastings. I found the job, applied and got it and worked for them during the summer. They liked me so I continued to work for them whilst studying and each summer. The job I’m in now came up after I finished my third summer and I jumped at the chance to live and work in London so soon after graduation.

What do you enjoy about it?

I love working in an international environment that is high pressured and allows me to meet people from around the world, whilst being challenged on a daily basis.

Any general advice for students about working whilst studying?

You may not be able to prioritise everything straight away and don’t be put off by this, it comes with time. Don’t be afraid to say no, there is such a thing as taking too much on, look at the bigger picture and do the things you know you can give your all to rather than trying to impress by doing lots of different things for lots of people and not doing them very well.

Keep up to date with SEOTY and find out more by following them on Twitter and liking their page on Facebook.

Ed Bending • 20 March 2015