Student News and Events

News and events for University of Brighton students

The importance of work experience

We’ve got together two of our recent graduates who did work experience alongside their course. They made a wealth of contacts and, in some cases, were even offered a job! 

Dan Barraclough, 21. Studied Sociology BA Hons, Falmer Campus.

Dan has a job in social media marketing and has been doing this since he left uni. During the summer before he graduated, he did soDANme work experience in Royal Mail’s marketing department, a dream for any stamp collectors.

“I had a lot of fun during my work experience and got a good sense of what life is like in marketing, which made me want to apply for the job I have now.

I was keen; I asked loads of questions and worked hard at everything I did, whether it was just some filing or actually helping to create content. They were impressed with my dedication. I arrived early and when required, I stayed beyond the time that was needed.

I think it was because of this that they invited me to go StampEx, a stamps exhibition, a few weeks after my work experience.

My top tip would be to ask questions, it makes you look like you’re genuinely interested, and if you’re not doing anything, ask if there’s anyone you can help.”

Serena Goodwins, 21. Studied Broadcast Media BA Hons, Hastings Campus.

Serena landed a job at Ricochet, a production company in Brighton, before she even graduated! She now works as a freelance runner for TV production companies and has had the exciting job of working with celebrities for big TV shows such as The X Factor, Britain’s Got Talent and Strictly Come Dancing.

serena“Grab every opportunity with both hands, even if it’s as small as offering an executive a cup of tea! People will always remember you for being polite, so be willing to help and you will go a long way. I worked as a day runner to begin with but people started to remember me and eventually began offering me work.

I did work experience in the office for Britain’s Got More Talent and even though it was only two weeks I tried to get involved with as much as I could but and ended up being asked back to work on the live Britain’s Got Talent shows, which was brilliant. I wouldn’t be where I am now if I hadn’t done the work experience.”

If you’re a final year student and would like to do some work experience but are worried about funds, why not apply for our Employability Fund? You can find out more here.

Ed Bending • 31 October 2014