Brighton Student bloggers

Read student blogs about student life and the Brighton university experience

Seniz Mustafa, studying Ecology and conservation MSci

My Clearing Story: Seniz

I always knew I would attend university, particularly entering secondary school. However, I wasn’t clear on what I wanted to study as I enjoyed many different areas of biology and history, but at A-level, I found a deeper interest in evolution and nature-based science.

I applied through Clearing as I didn’t get the results I wanted, which on reflection, may have been due to undiagnosed neurodivergence and family matters. I was offered foundation courses, but at the time I’d been at sixth form for three years and wanted to get straight into an undergrad course.

I knew about the University of Brighton through another student at my sixth form, I knew I wanted to study in Brighton and so I researched my course Ecology and Conservation MSci and liked the look of it. I’m glad I made this course choice as initially I wanted to study zoology but I feel I made the right choice in ecology and conservation.

The Clearing process

I applied on results day. Firstly, I sat down to read the course modules, how they were assessed and whether I felt the course suited my interests. I then enquired on the university website as to whether my grades would allow me to study at the university, and once it was confirmed, I then called the enrolment line and applied. I found it straightforward, and felt relieved at the end of it as results day can cause a lot of anxiety!

My advice

The only challenge I faced was the student enrolling me didn’t initially know my course! This was easily done as the course was very new and small at the time, but once that was cleared up it was plain sailing. If I could look back, I would tell my younger self to look into Clearing before results day so that way I would have had a plan of action, had I needed to go down another route. Another tip for Clearing would be to take half an hour to think in the garden and take a few deep breaths, as this time can cause a lot of stress and worry for young people. After that, then decide a plan of action once the adrenaline has passed, and know that if your heart is set on a goal, then you will achieve it, even if you need to go down a slightly different path to get there.

Jenny and a friend holding their results

Word from the uni

Do grades matter in Clearing? Well, yes but we always look at you as an individual with a variety of talents and strengths. It’s never only about your grades!

Find out more about Clearing 2023

applicationsapplying to universityclearingEcology and Conservation MSci

Seniz Mustafa • 7th January 2024