Dave Howarth

What is it like studying a social work degree at University of Brighton?

I’m a mature student at university

I started university straight after doing an Access course, so the transition was fine, although it is a step up to degree-level. The lecturers and my tutor have been very supportive, while making the expectations clear, so I know where I stand, what is expected of me and what extra support is there if I need it.

A career where you can help others

I have always had an interest in working with people and after lots of research into roles focused on helping people, I decided that social work would be a great option plus there is a great need for new people to join the profession. I’m a mature student with a young family and we live in Sussex. I chose Brighton as it had a good reputation, especially for vocational courses, and the interview process was pleasant and smooth.

Understanding topical issues

This year we’ve been learning about social inequalities. I have found this really interesting and challenging as it marries sociological theories with some of the big issues in the world. It helps me to understand people and society and why certain things are the way they are. We have also had some experts by experience come in to speak to us about their experiences in social work, which has been brilliant.

Placement opportunities in social work

I’m a first-year student, so haven’t gone out on placement yet, but will be doing a short placement in the second semester. There is also a longer practice placement in my second year which I am really looking forward to.

I’m positive about the future

I have ambitions of qualifying as a social worker with high grades. I hope to make a great difference in my career and believe that my experience at Brighton is helping shape this. I am learning so much already in my first year and have no doubt that I will continue to do so, with the help of the teachers and fellow students here.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description for our social work degree BSc(Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here are more types of humanities and social science degree.

access courseHumanities and Social Science degreesmature studentmature studentsSocial workSocial Work BSc(Hons)

Dave Howarth • 15th August 2022