Brighton Student bloggers

Read student blogs about student life and the Brighton university experience

Seniz Mustafa

What is it like studying an ecology degree at University of Brighton?

Do your research for university

Choosing what to study was slightly difficult as there are a range of courses related to the environment, each specialising in different areas. Originally I wanted to study zoology because I loved learning about animals, but I changed my mind to ecology because I also wanted to learn about the environment. I looked at different courses and what they each taught, for my course I was really excited by the opportunities of field trips and lab work to supplement my knowledge – such as trips to Shropshire and Stanmer Park where I learned about bird and plant identification.

Hands-on experience on campus and in the field

Ecology and conservation at University of Brighton is a very well-rounded course. In first year you learn about different ecosystems, genetics, microorganisms, and conservation. This is a great range of modules to have when first learning about ecology. You attend different field trips including to a rocky shore area at the coast in Brighton and you do lab work too. It’s a great opportunity to meet and interact with other course mates!

Develop your interests at Brighton

The topic of evolution genuinely fascinates me. In my second year, I chose an option module called Human Origins and Evolution. Here I learned about the history of humans as not only a species, but our extinct ancestors and other closely related species such as the Neanderthals and Denisovans. I enjoy that my course gives us opportunities to explore the topics that really interest us.

I am on placement!

My placement is with the Field Studies Council, an organisation you will more than likely visit in your first semester. The organisation aims to educate and offer opportunities for people to learn about the environment. This might be teaching ecology, biology and geography courses. I work to support the education team by assisting sessions and groups. It’s been a great stepping stone to improving my CV, knowledge and employability skills.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description for our ecology and conservation degree BSc(Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here are more Biology and Ecology courses.

Biology and EcologyConservationEcologyEcology and Conservation BSc

Seniz Mustafa • 15th August 2022