Pany headshot

Can you study Photography at uni? Yes!

Photography is so interesting

I find the photography course fascinating. We are making work that I didn’t think possible. We use advanced equipment to carry out our practices like an array of digital cameras as well as film cameras, and a colour darkroom. I really like group seminars where you present your work to the class, they will tell you what they like about it and where you could improve. My favourite facility is the darkroom and copy room where I create prints using UV light and light sensitive photographic paper.

Staff at Brighton will help you to succeed

The technicians and lecturers will always go the extra mile because they want you to succeed. If you need help with anything they are very understanding. If you need help in the darkroom or studios, or need to be shown how a particular camera works, the technicians will spend time with you so you are not by yourself.

The university is really supportive

At the university there will be times where you feel like you are struggling to learn or feel stressed. I had a situation where I felt that I was at disadvantage because I struggle to read and write essays which is important on this course. My personal academic tutor referred me to the SSGT (student support and guidance tutor), and they helped me to get a learning support plan in place so I feel comfortable in my studies.

Brighton beach is the best!

In my spare time I like to go to the beach with my friends as it is a nice place to relax and enjoy ourselves. It is close to the Edward Street campus so not far at all from our accommodation or place of study.

Thinking about my future

One thing about the university that I like outside my course is the Careers Service. I built a CV that they helped me with, that I can show my employer and they advised me on the application to become a student ambassador. Once you graduate they can still help you even if you are not a student at the university.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description Photography BA(Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here’s more art and media degrees.

applicationsindependent livingPhotographyPreparing for universitySchool of art and media

Pany Dexiades • 6th June 2022