Jenny headshot

Uni isn’t all about studying – I started my career as a writer!

Follow your passion and achieve your goals

Journalism had always been an industry that I had loved without even being aware of it. Writing and telling stories is always something that I have enjoyed. Over the lockdown I watched countless documentaries and have realised this is an area of journalism I would love to enter. Being able to interview and meet people with incredible life stories would be such an exciting privilege and I can’t wait to work toward this goal whilst studying at the university.

Not sure what to study? Research your subject first

Before I applied to study a journalism degree I decided to seek work experience at my local paper, which allowed me to speak to those who are already qualified in the industry and also gain an insight into the bustling work environment. After realising that this was the path I wanted to take, it didn’t take me long to realise that the University of Brighton was perfect for me. Not only did it offer a brilliant qualification (NCTJ) alongside the course, but on visiting the campus on the open day I felt really at home and knew that I would really enjoy the learning experience.

• Jenny and a friend holding their results
  • Franco Manca pizza

Is second year at university more challenging?

Second year has certainly been a step up from first year in more ways than one! Not only are my lessons now mostly in person meaning I have been able to interact with fellow students and be in the university environment, but I’m being even more stretched and challenged academically. It has been great to experience a variety of new modules and get even more of an idea of what life can be like as a journalist.

I published a book – at the same time as studying my degree!

Publishing a book was one of the biggest rollercoasters I have experienced! At times it was so difficult and so time consuming that I felt I wanted to give up but being able to hold my book in my hands and celebrate at my book launch made it all worth it. Editing the book was hugely helped by the writing and editing skills I learned in class, but anyone who studies for a degree learns the importance of determination and hard work and these were both crucial in the challenging stages of creating my book.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description Journalism BA(Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here’s more art and media degrees.

applicationsBrighton cityindependent livingJournalismPreparing for universitySchool of art and media

Jenny Bathurst • 5th May 2022