Brighton Student bloggers

Read student blogs about student life and the Brighton university experience

Chris Hunter

I graduated from Civil Engineering with a job!

Discover your interests at university

I chose this university because it offered a foundation engineering degree tied in with a three-year BEng(Hons) degree. After completing the first year you choose the engineering discipline you want to study, I continued with civil engineering. It was the freedom to choose that really appealed to me, because if I’m honest I didn’t really know which area I wanted to study.

Find your learning style – it’s not just lectures!

It’s not all taught in classrooms, you experience labs to study the properties of materials, site visits, and how to use engineering tools, like total stations (if you ever see people in high vis jackets standing next to a tripod with a camera thing on it, that’s it!). The assessments are built up of coursework, reports, group work and exams spread through each semester.

Lecture at Moulsecoomb using total machines

See your skills in a professional setting

I was fortunate enough to work on Crossrail in London. The placement year brought together the skills I learnt at uni and developed them and having valuable experience on site was amazing. The careers and employability team helped me perfect my CV and prepped me for the interviews and assessment centres which set me in the right direction.

Make memories at Brighton!

The university offers so many courses and an endless list of sports and societies, you are bound to meet friends for life through similar interests and hobbies. I was fortunate enough to be part of the hockey team throughout my time at university. Travelling to different universities, enjoying socials and going on tour with the team is an experience that I will never forget.

Placements create opportunities

I have managed to secure a job as a Site Civil Engineer with Graham, where I did my placement year. I have been enrolled on their grad scheme and I am excited to work alongside previous colleagues.

Student looking at their phone

Word from the uni…

Interested in this course? Read the full course description Civil Engineering BEng (Hons).

Interested in this subject? Here’s more construction and building degrees.

applicationsArchitecture technology and engineeringbrighton civil engineeringCivil Engineeringindependent livingPreparing for university

Chris Hunter • 28th April 2022