Amy smiling at the camera!

The new term is here! What I’m most excited about

A new term: nerve-wracking and exciting

September is usually full of both apprehension and excitement as students all over the county get ready to go back to school or university. This year I have felt this even more as we begin experiencing a post-pandemic society, which of course will affect all of our university experiences. There are many things I am looking forward to this academic year, as I begin my second year of Sport and Exercise Science, which is based in Eastbourne.

On-campus learning and SU activities

I would like to begin with a few of the things I am most excited about, and these include in-person labs and seminars, and socialising outside university hours. The Brighton Students’ Union (SU) has put on so many activities for everyone to enjoy, whether you like dancing the night away in Cameo or a quiet night in with your new housemates. There has been something for everyone to join in this September and I have really enjoyed this experience.

My second year timetable includes a blend of online and onsite teaching with my laboratory sessions all onsite, which is a crucial part of my course and a part that me and my fellow students really appreciate. I am looking forward to meeting and interacting with others face to face and gaining some hands-on experience, which I will be able to use in employment after I have graduated. Some of the lectures will still be online this year but there are also many advantages to this. These include the fact that you can watch them as many times as you want, to make sure you really understand the concepts involved and use them as a revision aid when exam season comes around!

A new term = option modules

As a second year Sport Science student you are able to choose two optional modules to study and this means you can choose a particular area of the subject that you are interested in. I have chosen Exercise Referral and Rehabilitation Strength and Conditioning so I am really excited about getting hands-on with these topics this year.

Get stuck in!

If you are starting university this year or looking to join in the future, I would recommend getting involved in as much as possible and joining any clubs and societies that interest you. The university experience is all about what you make it…. so remember to get stuck in!

Brighton Students' UnionEastbourneEastbourne campusindependent livingliving in EastbournePreparing for universitySocietiesTop tipsWellbeing

Amy Davis • 8th October 2021