Brighton student in South Laine

What is Early Clearing? Top 5 Questions

I’m Charlotte, an English Literature and Creative Writing student who went through Early Clearing and in this blog I’ll answer questions about it and will speak about my experience applying to the University of Brighton in my video.

What is Early Clearing?

Early Clearing is when you apply through Clearing before results day. I took this route because I didn’t meet the specific requirements for my course (I’d studied slightly different subjects at A-Level). This option meant I could study the course I’d always wanted!

How did you apply through Early Clearing?

You can either apply through UCAS or directly to the university. I decided to apply directly, as Brighton offered my ideal course. I knew I wanted to live in Brighton, and I’ve got friends and family who studied at the university and had great experiences. If you want to study at Brighton this is the best way to apply, as you won’t pay the UCAS fee.

How did you know if you were eligible?

I phoned the University of Brighton (01273 644644) to get more advice about Clearing. It’s really useful to go through all your options and the team are so friendly and helpful. They made me feel at ease about an important decision.

What did you need to apply?

Having all my grades, clearing number, and questions nearby really helped when I phoned. I remember writing down a lot of information and was asked questions about what interested me in the course. So having notes can be really useful. I was then offered my place on the phone!

Should I apply through Early Clearing?

Yes! I’m so glad I applied this way as Early Clearing gave me the opportunity to study the course I’d always wanted. Even if you aren’t planning to apply through clearing it will be worth familiarizing yourself with the process as a backup plan.

And finally, Good Luck!

Jenny and a friend holding their results

Word from the uni

Do grades matter in Clearing? Well, yes but we always look at you as an individual with a variety of talents and strengths. It’s never only about your grades!

Interesting reads: Find out how Eva saw Clearing as just another way to get to uni.

Find out more about Clearing 2023

clearingearly clearingPreparing for universityTop tipsucas

Charlotte Kidd • 27th May 2021