A group of student ambassadors

How I’ve earnt money at uni

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well! Today’s blog post is all about how I have earnt money whilst studying at university. This has been particularly difficult with the pandemic, but I have still managed to earn money and I hope the things I discuss will give you some ideas!

James on his laptop

Firstly, I have been tutoring maths for over 5 years now and have enjoyed supporting secondary aged children with their mathematics learning. Since the first lockdown back in March, I transferred my tutoring sessions to fully online. This has been successful and has enabled me to earn money whilst studying in Brighton. I tutor 5 times a week which means that I have a healthy weekly income that supports my living costs. I would recommend tutoring because you can schedule sessions around your studies and tutor as much as feels comfortable to you. In addition, with all the learning that children have lost in school, it is a great opportunity to help children catch up with their studies in a personalised way.

Another way that I have earnt money whilst studying at university is from being employed as a Student Ambassador. A key advantage to this type of work is that you can select which shifts you are available to work and as a result make it flexible around your studies and other commitments. The current lockdown has made the amount of shifts decrease, however there are a variety of online events that you are able to work in. For example, back in September I supported the online summer school where students that were joining the university for the first time could be welcomed to our Brighton community. I supported the week by creating a student life presentation sharing my experiences and supporting socials, such as the online scavenger hunt.

A group of student ambassadors

The picture above shows a group of us ambassadors working at an event a couple of years ago. The great thing about working as a Student Ambassador is that you get to work with students from a range of courses and develop team working skills. More recently, I have worked at some online open day events where I provided answers to prospective student questions. I also create videos for the university about my experiences of learning on the Primary Mathematics Education course and support online tours. This is a great way to earn some additional money and most importantly have fun whilst you’re doing it.

I do hope this blog post has given you some ideas of how you can earn money during these difficult times.

There are more tips on the university website about working during uni including links to employability and career services.

earning moneyemploymentindependent livingmoney saving tipsworking while studying

James Lewington • 10th March 2021