Screenshot of society social online

My experience of lockdown life

Hello everyone, my name is James and I am a final year Primary Education student. Today I am writing a blog about what it is like to be a student in lockdown. I am particularly going to focus on the social aspect and how I have been able to cope during this tough time.

Firstly, I think it is very important to go outside daily to get some fresh air. I try and do a couple of walks every week with a friend. As we are lucky enough to have a beach in Brighton, this is one of my favourite walking and running destinations. Not only are you getting some exercise, but you are also spending some time catching up and socialising!

James lockdown selfie

Another activity that I love doing is baking! I aim to bake at least once a week; it is great fun and I find that it takes my mind off everything that is going on in the world! I recently baked some Nutella cupcakes, please find attached the link to the recipe: https://www.bakingmad.com/recipes/cupcakes-muffins/cupcakes/nutella-cupcakes

Nutella cupcakes

I also enjoy sharing my cakes with others, sometimes I go and deliver my bakes to friends that live close by. They certainly appreciate it!

Another important part of my social life at university is societies. I am currently the President of Korfball Club. Despite not being able to train in person, we have ensured that we host an online social every week for our members. So far we have hosted quizzes, pictionary, catchphrase, live baking and Kahoot! I always look forward to our Thursday night social and find it is a lovely time to catch up with the team and have a good laugh.

Screenshot of society social online

I am also part of the Pool society at the university and have enjoyed taking part in weekly socials on a Tuesday. We have played some online 8-ball pool, completed scavenger hunts and I hosted a live baking social where everyone baked some cupcakes. This is another highlight of my week and it is so nice to be able to catch up with uni friends, even though we are unable to all meet up due to the pandemic.

Pool society cupcakes

Therefore, I have been able to balance my social life successfully during the lockdown whilst completing my learning. This has ensured that I feel supported and well connected with my friends. Always remember to reach out to others if you need support or would like a chat!

independent livingremote learningSocietiesstudent societyTop tipsWellbeing

James Lewington • 22nd February 2021