Brighton Student bloggers

Read our student blogs to find out about student life at the University of Brighton

My lockdown experience

My experience of lockdown as a student has had its ups and downs like most imagine. Being confined to our homes with no outside social interactions with fellow humans is tough that partially goes against our human nature. Nothing compares going to University and experiencing the full uni student life of interacting with friends and lecturers. While a global pandemic has brought this all to a halt, I have been lucky enough to have a family that continues to support me during these uncertain times. Who are always allowing me the time and space I’ve needed over these past months to independently study.  

While currently being in my second year of Sports and Exercise Science with ongoing final assessments hasn’t been all that bad for me during the lockdown. I like to think of myself as a hard-working grafter when it comes to essay writing. So being able to quickly adapt to a remote learning platform, in which, the University has done a phenomenal job at doing by making the content easily accessible has been essential in continuing my studies at an incredible speed with assessment deadlines wavering overhead. 

My knowledge and experience in exercise and health have allowed me to continue to keep my health and well-being in check. Having trained many previous clients, home-based exercises in the past gave me the confidence and incentive to implement my own home routine while juggling my studies. However, keeping my mind actively engaged with sometimes arduous 1000+ repetition push-ups, sit-ups, and squats variations (per week) and half marathon runs on a whim was no easy task. Exercise has primarily been my lifeline through these times, keeping boredom and my belly size at bay. But don’t get me wrong I’ve had my binge eating and movie marathon days like most through these unprecedented times.  

With all this said, I’ve kept a positive head, always looking towards the current challenge of lockdown as an adaptive learning experience we’re all faced with. As my motto goes always live to learn, to try and fail, but most of all, keeping it real. 

Jay Suter • 31st July 2020