5 things I wish I had known before university
- Everyone is in the same boat – put yourself out there, join societies (!!), talk to people around campus and on your course. I struggled in the first month because I felt I didn’t have any friends, but when I spoke with the friends I have now, they felt the same way!
- Keep on top of your key readings – if you do academic readings when you’ve got some spare time, this makes it so much less work when you have to write an assignment. All you have to do is refresh your mind by reading the abstract, rather than whole papers!
- Apply for a job as a student ambassador. I only applied in my second year and it’s a massive regret of mine that I didn’t apply sooner. It has been one of the best jobs I’ve ever had, and I’ve also met some awesome people through it to. I would 100% recommend applying!
- As you’re writing your assignments, make note of your references as you go, rather than leaving it until the end. I’ve wasted SO many hours trying to re-find my references.
- Take the time to make sure you’re physically and mentally well; do some exercise, eat well, meditate, get some fresh air, drink lots of water. University can be a stressful experience so it’s so important you get into a good routine where you take care of yourself. I didn’t think about this in first year but once I started to focus on myself in second/third year, I was overall a happier (and healthier) person.