Important money news for continuing undergraduate students
The summer vacation is finally here and most students will be looking forward to a break from study for a while.
But this doesn’t mean a long summer holiday for everyone as many students will be working to reduce the overdraft, pay the rent or mortgage or looking after children or relatives. This can also be a worrying time if exams or coursework haven’t gone as well as you’d hoped and you’re waiting for exam board decisions.
The Student Advice Service is open throughout the holiday and you can contact us in the usual way by phone 01273 642888, email firstname.lastname@example.org or make an appointment in person at your campus or via MS Teams .
Here’s a few ways in which we can help you over the summer:
- Advise you about your Student Finance application for next academic year – please note the deadline for continuing students to submit their funding application for 22/23 to guarantee it is assessed in time for September is tomorrow, Friday 24th June. Just login to your student finance account and you’re good to go. Even if you’re not sure what you’re going to be doing, it is still best to start the process now as you can change or withdraw it at a later date.
- Explain what happens to your funding if you have to repeat the year or part of the year. This may come as really bad news, but at least we can make sure you have all the funding information you need in plenty of time before the start of next year.
- If things have changed financially at home, or your personal circumstances have changed, do let us know as this may impact your funding entitlement.
- For students experiencing financial difficulties over the summer, you can see if you’re eligible to apply for the Summer Fund. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee awards for all applicants, so priority will be given to students who are unable to work and/or who fulfil the following criteria:
- have caring responsibilities – for a child, relative, partner or other adult
- have health issues or are a disabled student
- have no family contact
- have overlapping tenancies/overlapping rent liability for 2 properties simultaneously
The Summer Fund is open to all continuing, undergraduate students enrolled on a full time course with the exception of Nursing students enrolled on a long course, who can still apply for the Student Support Fund until 8th July. Please contact the Funds team for more information email@example.com
5. Are you in receipt of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit? You may be able to get reassessed over the summer months, so please contact us if you have a question.
Or you can get in touch with any other money related question.
We wish you a happy, healthy, enjoyable summer.