Student Advice Service – Money Matters

News from the Student Advice Service at the University of Brighton


Student Oyster photocard information for students currently living in London

Are you a full-time student living in a London borough during term-time?

Do you want 30% off travel cards in London?

If you have decided to live at home in London during these unusual times, and travel regularly around the capital,  you may be eligible for an 18+ Student Oyster photocard valid for up to 3 years of your course which should help keep your travel costs down on tube, bus, DLR and trams, for day passes or longer travel cards.

Both undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply, as long as you are currently enrolled on a full-time course.

It doesn’t matter that the University of Brighton is outside Greater London – as long as you live in a London borough during term time and travel regularly, you should still be able to get the 18+ Student Oyster photocard while you are living in London. This is because the University of Brighton is registered on the scheme.

Students who don’t live in London, but who are on a full-time mandatory work placement of at least 14 weeks in a London borough may also apply to the scheme, so bear that in mind if you have a placement year coming up in the future. You need to provide the placement start and end date to receive an Oyster card for this duration.

Information about the scheme including how to apply can be found on the Transport for London Student Oyster photocard website.

What you’ll need to apply:

You can apply online once you’ve enrolled with your school, college or university.

You need to provide:

  • Active email address
  • copy of your Unicard
  • London borough address
  • Digital photo which must be a .jpg, .bmp or .gif file and less than 6MB

You pay an administration fee of £20 using a credit or debit card.

Transport for London will post your 18+ Student Oyster photocard to you once our Academic Services department has approved your application.

Happy and safe travelling!


Helen Abrahams • October 15, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post


  1. Ghaith Al Najjar January 21, 2021 - 4:52 pm Reply

    Hello there, I recently applied to this but it says that the University of Brighton needs to confirm my application before they send me the student Oyster photocard. Can you please confirm me? By the way, I part of Brighton and Sussex Medical School.

    • Helen Abrahams January 22, 2021 - 11:31 am Reply

      Dear Ghaith, thank you for your comment. I am going to contact a colleague in Academic Services who looks after Oyster Card authorisations and reply to you direct.
      Best wishes
      Student Advice

    • Muhammad February 2, 2023 - 10:48 pm Reply

      Hello there, I recently applied to oyster student Id but it says that the University of Brighton needs to confirm my application before they send me the student Oyster photocard. Can you please confirm me? By the way, i am part of brighton school of business & law.

      • Helen Abrahams February 3, 2023 - 10:54 am Reply

        Hi Muhammad, I have asked a colleague in Academic Registry to contact you direct about this.
        Best wishes

  2. Patricia December 29, 2021 - 2:31 pm Reply

    Hi there, is this only still for full time students? Thank you

  3. Helen Abrahams January 4, 2022 - 1:42 pm Reply

    Hi Patricia

    Thank you for the comment.
    Have you checked the 18+ Student Oyster eligibility criteria here:

    Hopefully this explains things in more details for you

    Best wishes

  4. Ines Mendes September 1, 2022 - 10:00 am Reply


    Is it the same for university of Sussex students ?

    • Helen Abrahams September 1, 2022 - 11:17 am Reply

      Hi Ines, I am only able to confirm the arrangements for University of Brighton students. I suggest you contact Sussex University direct to find out what their arrangements are – their main telephone number is 01273 606755
      Best wishes
      Student Advice Service

  5. Molly September 18, 2022 - 8:21 am Reply

    Hi there,

    I’m a full time student at UCL living in Surrey. I commute into central London every day however do not have a London Borough address. Is there any chance I could be eligible for the student railcard please?

    Thank you.

  6. Helen Abrahams September 21, 2022 - 8:47 am Reply

    Hi Molly, I believe you need to be living in a London borough during term time to be eligible for this. Here is a map of the qualifying areas:

    I suggest you contact Student Services/Student Support at UCL as there may be something else you can apply for which they offer to their students for help with travel.

    Best wishes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar