Student Advice Service – Money Matters

News from the Student Advice Service at the University of Brighton

Student Advice welcomes back all returning students

Welcome from the Student Advice Service to what must be the weirdest start of term in living memory (although possibly less weird than last term …!)

What is the Student Advice Service?

As experienced University of Brighton students you probably know what we do, but in case you need your memories refreshed we provide information and advice on any student funding questions and problems you may have, whether you are an undergraduate or postgraduate – for example:

  • Problems with your student finance provider (e.g. Student Finance England/Wales/Northern Ireland and the Student Awards Agency Scotland)
  • The financial implications of taking time out from your course, repeating part of your course and leaving your course
  • Sources of additional income
  • Extra help that’s available if you estranged from your parents or a care-leaver
  • Budgeting advice
  • What to do if you’re running out of money
  • How to deal with debts
  • Hardship funding to which you might be able to apply
  • Advice on social security benefits such as Universal Credit and PIP
  • The financial side of life after graduation.

If you have a money-related problem or question then please do get in touch with us – if we can’t help we’ll know who can.

We are a confidential and non-judgemental service – we won’t lecture you or tell you what to do, but explain your options to you.

The Student Advice Service also has a funds team, who administer many of the University’s hardship funds

For those of you who have applied to our funds in the past you’ll notice some big changes. The undergraduate form, which includes PGCE applicants, now has a fully online application process which we hope will make it a little bit easier for you. You can access this through the Student View area of My Brighton

To apply to most of the other University hardship funds you need to download the relevant form and send the completed application along with all the required documentation to

You may also notice that the Alumni Hardship Fund has been renamed the EU Student Support Fund and is now focused on helping EU students and all Channel Island/Isle of Man students in financial hardship

How can I contact you?  

Due to the COVID-19 situation the ways to contact us are:

  • By emailing us – – we always respond swiftly!
  • By phoning us – 01273 642888 – weekdays between 10am and 3pm

If you feel a money problem brewing then please do contact us – the sooner you get in touch the better chance there is that we can help you solve it.

Look forward to hearing from you

Student Advice Service


Helen Abrahams • September 23, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar