Student Advice Service – Money Matters

News from the Student Advice Service at the University of Brighton


Financial support available over the summer vacation – closing date Friday 5th July

Are you worried about making ends meet over the long summer vacation?

Have you got an ongoing rent liability but you’re not able to work over the holidays?

Are you care experienced or estranged from your family and you’ll be staying in Brighton on your own over the summer?

Help is here at hand…………………..the Student Advice Service manages a small discretionary fund to offer financial assistance to UK based students continuing with their course in September 2019.¬† Applications are considered by our Funds Panel on a case by case basis, but priority is given to students fulfilling one or more of the following criteria:

  • You have caring responsibilities – for a child, relative, partner or other adult
  • You have health issues, you are a disabled student or you are due to have medical treatment over the summer months
  • You are undertaking an unpaid placement over the summer months
  • You are a care leaver / estranged student who does not have a family home to return to over the summer
  • You have exceptional unforeseen circumstances (not covered by the above).

If you live with a partner, we can only consider an application if your partner is financially dependent on you.

Please have a look at our online information which covers everything you need to know about eligibility, the application process and all important deadlines. Access the web information here

The Student Advisers can answer all your questions and send you a form, so please contact us if you have any questions. Our telephone number is 01273 642888

Student Advice Service

Helen Abrahams • June 27, 2019

Previous Post

Next Post


  1. Milly Westbrook June 27, 2019 - 4:09 pm Reply

    I would like to apply for this fund as I do not have a family home to return to.

    • Helen Abrahams June 28, 2019 - 10:46 am Reply

      Hi Milly

      Thanks for your comment
      Please contact the Student Advice team on 01273 642888 to discuss your circumstances with an Adviser in a little more detail.
      We also need to know where to send a form to.

      Best wishes
      Student Advice Service

  2. Adrian Keyes June 27, 2019 - 6:31 pm Reply

    I’m a mature student recently returned to the Brighton area from Spain, where I have two teenage sons, and where I was dealing with residency issues there due to the UK’s impending departure from the EU.
    This caused me to miss the last semester and I’ve claimed Mitigating Circumstances for this and other reasons. I also had to wait for affordable accommodation to become available. I am looking for work/placement but funds are dwindling. I hope you can help as I am reluctant to incur further debt outside of student finance.

    • Helen Abrahams June 28, 2019 - 10:54 am Reply

      Hi Adrian

      Thanks for your comment.
      Please can you contact the Student Advice team on 01273 642888 to discuss your potential eligibility for the Summer Fund.
      The eligibility criteria is quite strict for the Summer Fund, as our resource is rather limited so we invite students to contact us by phone with any questions before submitting an application.

      Best wishes
      Student Advice

  3. Daniel Green July 2, 2019 - 12:33 pm Reply

    I am a 20 year old student with Multiple Sclerosis who is looking for work but I am unable to find it due to my disability and my mum is on an extremely low income
    Do you think I’d be able to get this fund?

    • Helen Abrahams July 2, 2019 - 1:59 pm Reply

      Hi Daniel

      Thank you for your comment.

      Please can you contact the Student Advice Service on 01273 642888. We can send you an application form etc, but I need your student number and uni email, probably best to share these off list


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar