Graduates 2023: Hannah Puttick, Interior Architecture BA(Hons)

I feel I’ve had the opportunity to experiment more and make some really good friendships.

Throughout my work I have found I’m interested in both sustainability and film. Within most of my projects, I have looked into sustainable building materials, using this topic as a base for my dissertation, “The Future of Building Materials”. Film has been a more recent interest, which started at the beginning of this year with our AD699 cultures module, where we looked into where we might find ourselves in the future. However, it was solidified with my most recent project, which looked into the film Her, by Spike Jonze. This project allowed me to explore this avenue further, experimenting with creating a design to reflect the actions and emotions of a film.

I think it was hard at first starting university during the pandemic, but this last year especially has been a much better experience, and I feel I’ve had the opportunity to experiment more and make some really good friendships.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Interior Architecture?

I knew I wanted to go into a creative field, it was just choosing the right one. I think at the time, interior architecture seemed a good way to blend the creativeness of interior design with the scale of architectural projects. Furthermore, when looking back to when I was a kid, I was always trying to redesign my bedroom, and create the coolest layout, so maybe subconsciously this aided my decision.

I’m hoping to try and get a job, or even an internship within a sustainability focused practice, but if that falls through, then I would like to explore film set design and see whether that works out for me instead.