Set of four drawings of inside spaces

Graduates 2023: Khadiga El Shakhs, Interior Architecture BA(Hons)

I have been given the freedom to use my voice and create a healthy inclusive working environment for me and my peers, which has made my journey as an international student so much easier.

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

The main influences behind my work stem from my side passion for the field of fashion, textiles and styling. All of my projects attempt to merge influences from both fields of design. I started exploring different ways in which I can incorporate fashion into architecture through material experimentation specifically using textiles. For example, I started making models out of fabrics and learning how to sew in order to put stuff together. This allowed me to apply a technique that would usually be used in fashion, to architecture. A common area that I found between both practices was sustainability, hence through my projects I was able to learn about sustainable materials and precedent studies in fashion and in architecture. This led me to write my dissertation titled: “the interconnection between fashion and architecture”. 

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

My time in Brighton has been extremely life-changing to say the least. It had really allowed me to grow and learn many different things due to the endless creative freedom we are given on this course. Without it, I would’ve never discovered my passion for the world of fashion. As a student ambassador and an inclusive practice partner, I have been given the freedom to use my voice and create a healthy inclusive working environment for me and my peers, which has made my journey as an international student so much easier. The vibrant nature of our studio culture has been extremely inspiring as we all get to learn from each others work and experiences as separate individuals. 

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Interior Architecture?

Going into the course I didn’t really know what to expect. I had applied to many different courses around the UK but the modules and description of the one at the University of Brighton excited me most as it seemed like the most challenging one. As a creative individual, Brighton as a city had always seemed as the perfect city for me to live in. It’s a very lively, liberal, creative place to be which is very inspiring for me and my work. Interior Architecture as a course offers a bit of everything, I get to be as creative as I want when being presented with a site. On this course my biggest realisation was working through the process and its difficulties, feels as rewarding as the outcome. 

What are your plans after graduation?

I am currently interning at a new startup company called LUKZ which is a company that is building a fashion community for luxury resale shoppers. I am planning on continuing down the fashion route in terms of work. However, as an individual with a very unique eye and experience due to my time on this course I have a very specific style of work which I plan on growing and exploring further after university. I plan on gaining as much experience as I can by networking and working with different businesses and individuals until I am 100% sure of the area that I would like to focus on, then I would aim to obtain my postgraduate degree. 

Published by