Architecture drawing of buildings

Graduates 2023: Savannah Rai: Architecture BA(Hons)

The design studio projects allow us to gain hands on experiences through the use of real sites which we design our projects in to.

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences 

In architecture, I am constantly surrounded by precedents which have influenced my work. During my second year I was introduced to radical architecture which took place during the 1960s. These concepts use the idea of building above existing cityscapes to cope with issues such as overpopulation and global warming. This has taught me to push the limits of my designs to create spaces which can be enjoyed by society whilst also respond to modern day issues. 

How have you found your course and time at Brighton? 

My time at Brighton has been challenging and enjoyable. The design studio projects allow us to gain hands on experiences through the use of real sites which we design our projects in to. The university also encourages us to explore innovative and sustainable approaches to our design which has allowed me to gain new knowledges and skills. Brighton as a city offers a diverse architectural landscape, with a mix of historical and contemporary buildings, which has allowed me to gain inspiration from my surroundings. It has also offered me a range of cultural opportunities which I had not experienced before. 

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Architecture? 

My interest for the subject came when I was studying Design and Technology in secondary school. I was introduced to different design styles and architects such as Eileen Gray. From my initial interest of the subject, I started to explore more places and saw how architecture influences an experience of a space. Architecture allows me to be creative in my thinking and to explore how I can arrange spaces to create places. 

What are your plans after graduation? 

After graduating, I aim to work a year in practice as a Part 1 Architectural Assistant. From there I hope advance my knowledge of Architecture and complete my Part 2 qualification.

Published by