Architectural drawing

Graduates 2023: Hannah Lammiman, Architecture BA(Hons)

As soon as we got to experience the studio culture, everyone kept motivating each other to create a positive environment to work in. 

Growing up in Vienna, Austria, I always admired the architecture that I was surrounded by. Otto Wagner and Adolf Loos were two of the main architects that I looked up to and researched as they had many influences on Viennese architecture. They also influenced the way I then started designing. Coming to England has led me to admire architects such as Flores I Prats, particularly the way they draw and the attention to detail they apply to their drawings.

After having started a housing project in my final year, Sophie Delhay has always been an architect that I would go back to as she focuses on social housing, exploring living and human relationships. I thoroughly enjoyed diving into residential architecture for my final design as it deals with architectural and urban design problems involving issues of both collectivity and individuality. The main focus was on the relationship between the inside and outside exploring the sequence of arrival and departure. 

How have you found your course and time in Brighton? 

I have really enjoyed studying Architecture at the University of Brighton. Even though the pandemic created a difficult start for a lot of people, our tutors were very helpful and great in every way possible to help us make the most of the course. As soon as we got to experience the studio culture, everyone kept motivating each other to create a positive environment to work in. 

How did you choose your course – why did you choose Architecture? 

I grew in a very creative household that always inspired me to pursue a creative career as well. I have always been very intrigued by how buildings could affect the way we live and how architecture can have an influence on people´s mental health and wellbeing. I wanted to learn more about that, hence why I ended up choosing Architecture. Architecture also gives you so much freedom to express your design ideas in various ways. 

After graduation, I am planning on working as a part 1 architectural assistant and then perhaps travel in order to see more architecture around the world. I am keen on pursuing my masters somewhere in Europe, but am also open to explore different paths I could take throughout my career.