Graduates 2023: Zenida Fernandes, Architecture BA(Hons)

I am excited to use my skills and knowledge as an undergraduate student to contribute to the creation of new ideas that will improve and enhance the lives of those who inhabit them.  

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

As an Architecture student, I am passionate about creating spaces that are both fun and enjoyable to the people who inhabit them. Therefore, when designing any project, I always factor in how people will interact with the space and the journey one takes through the building. I believe that Architects have the ability to create a powerful impact on individuals through their designs, and this is something that excites me about studying Architecture.

Over the past three years, my work has been highly influenced by architects of both the past and present, incorporating aspects of their design into my own projects by exploring various possibilities and determining which one suits the requirements of the specific project. My design process has been very iterative, beginning with an initial concept and then refining it in accordance with research and feedback. I also strongly believe in the importance of site visits, as they allow designers to gain a better understanding of space and context and how this might influence your design.  I am passionate about my work, and I am constantly looking for ways to improve my design and push the boundaries of what is possible. 

How have you found your course and time at Brighton? 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time studying at the university of Brighton. The tutors are very knowledgeable, helpful and are great at guiding you in the right direction with your projects. The university facilities are excellent, and I was able to make use of the library and on-campus workshop, which has helped me to expand my knowledge and develop my model making skills. The course was both challenging and demanding, but I learned to efficiently manage my time and keep up with the workload. Overall, I found my course to be highly rewarding and enjoyable. 

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Architecture?

I chose to pursue a degree in Architecture due to my long-held passion for the field and my childhood experiences that instilled in me a strong desire to explore it further. I’ve always been fascinated by the prospect of seeing how ideas and concepts come to life, as well as how Architecture can be utilized to create a sense of place and bring people together. I was particularly driven to the artistic and conceptual aspect of Architecture as it gave me the freedom to think about spaces in new ways, but I am now eager to explore and learn about the practical application of Architecture such as building regulations and apply them in the real world.

What are your plans after graduation? 

Upon graduating, my first goal is to work as a part 1 Architectural Assistant or Designer and then look towards furthering my career in architecture by completing my part 2 qualification. I am excited to work with clients and am committed to learning and developing my skills further. I am excited to use my skills and knowledge as an undergraduate student to contribute to the creation of new ideas that will improve and enhance the lives of those who inhabit them.  

Published by