Graduates 2023: Leonor De Bronac De Vazelhes, Architecture BA(Hons)

I was very well surrounded by tutors, who constantly challenged my designs and provided me with endless references.

Please tell us a bit about your work and your influences

I would describe my work as sensitive, fun and in harmony with nature. I take inspiration from Japanese architecture, notably Son Fujimoto whose design philosophy is that the purpose of a building is determined by the way people use it. Other key influences in my work are the designs of Maggie’s centres. They taught me about the healing qualities of materiality and layout for both physical and mental health. I have carried this knowledge throughout my undergrad, ensuring that all my designs portrayed this sensitivity and thought, putting user experience at the forefront of design. I intend to keep designing with those qualities in mind once I join the professional world.

How have you found your course and time at Brighton?

I have really enjoyed my time at Brighton. It wasn’t always easy with the start of the degree being online, but over the three years I have been able to fully experience the studio culture. Working alongside my peers has given me the opportunity to see different techniques of drawing and designing. And we always motivated each other. I was very well surrounded by tutors, who constantly challenged my designs and provided me with endless references.

How did you choose your course – why did you choose to study Architecture?

I started off university by studying international development for a year, in an attempt to play my part in ending inequality in the world. However, I did not complete the degree because I wanted to have a more hands on, material impacting with helping those who need it, and believed that I would achieve this by studying architecture.

What are your plans after graduation?

There are several paths I intend to explore following my graduation. These are to take a break from the academic world and travel in order to new cultures and ways of living. As well as finding and ethical and sustainable practice that would enable me to combine my passion for architecture and sport/wellbeing or architecture and education. Regardless of what I choose, I am excited to see what the future has in store for me on my architectural journey and join the big world of graduate life.

Published by