On Saturday, June 26th Panopto will be down for maintenance and for the installation of new features for the service. They believe the downtime will only run for about 4 hours, and will start at 10pm BST on the 26th.
During the downtime, you will not be able to access videos on your Panopto site and any attempts to upload from recording clients will result in a “Server unable to connect” message
Although it’s unfortunate that the service will be down, the features that will be arriving upon the upgrade are quite nice, and many have been things that staff have been requesting/hoping for for a while.
• Multi-stream mobile and embed viewer — Exciting changes are coming to mobile devices and the Panopto embed viewer. Users will get a fully interactive multi-stream experience that allows them to dynamically control which streams are displayed and to cycle through visual layouts. Linked Youtube videos are also now supported in this viewer, along with the full suite of features available in Panopto’s interactive desktop viewer.
• Discussion Moderation — Content creators can moderate discussions for both live webcasts and on-demand videos, controlling which discussion comments are visible to the full audience of viewers.
• Multi-stream preview in Capture — After recording a video with Capture, users will now see all of their recorded streams in the preview viewer to increase confidence that all of their content has been captured correctly.
• Improved Sharing Experience — In response to usability feedback from users, we have revamped the sharing experience to be more intuitive and to use a modernized look and feel.
• Multi-Language Search — Users can specify the content language for each folder, enabling Panopto’s Smart Search and speech-to-text processing in multiple languages within the same site.
• Join or resume a session using Capture — Users can now use Capture to create distributed recordings, joining an in-progress recording or resuming a previous recording, right from the video library.
• Improved clips ordering — Users can now drag and drop clips to the desired location from the timeline UI in the editor.
• Mobile apps: Background/Reliable Upload & Share — Panopto’s mobile app now allows users to create recordings of unlimited duration and will upload videos while the app is in the background. Users can also easily share videos from within the app.
Some of these features will take a bit of time to wrap our heads around them, but Panopto believes that their service will be even easier and better to use.
Mandatory Client Upgrade
On Friday, July 16, we will require Panopto for Windows & Remote Recorders to be upgraded to version 9.0.2 or above and Panopto for Mac to version 10.1.0 or above.
The upgrade will be applied to your Panopto site at 12 midnight GMT/1:00 am BST.
To update your Panopto Recorder, go into a module with Panopto Video enabled. Click on Panopto Video to go to the Panopto Content area of the module (1) and then click on the Go to Panopto button in the upper right (2).
Once you’re in the Panopto Area, click on the “Download” button under your name in the top-right.
Click the green Download button.
Double-click to launch the installer application
Follow the onscreen-prompts to install the software.
Note: If you are prompted to enter a password to install this update, you MAY have to contact the Service Desk if the computer doesn’t allow you to run the installer.