Attending a Round for the first time

Mia’s post – Feb 2023

At first, I wasn’t sure how to feel before attending my first Schwartz Round, as I had never attended one previously. Beforehand, I had been tasked with researching the topic, such as its concept and origin. In my research, I found that the idea was inspired by Kenneth Schwartz, a healthcare lawyer from Boston, whose experiences as a patient when diagnosed with lung cancer in 1994 led him to reflect that what mattered to him most as a patient were the acts of kindness given to him from caregivers – which to him made “the unbearable bearable”. Before his death, he left a legacy in the establishment of the Schwartz Center in Boston, which aims to help foster compassion in healthcare. However, since I had no previous experience which Schwartz Rounds prior to attending one, I was unsure what to expect, but I looked forward to attending the round nonetheless, as I was curious to see what attending the round would entail and how it could possibly impact my learning.

After attending my first round, I found that I enjoyed the event immensely, with one particular reason for this being that I appreciated the calm and relaxed atmosphere maintained in the round, and that there was less of focus on problem-solving and more of a focus on coming together as nurses and listening to the stories – all of which were very inspiring and encouraging. The round allowed me to reflect upon my own experiences on placement; and affirmed that as healthcare professionals we are allowed to experience and be open with our emotions when reflecting on our practice. It was also incredibly interesting to hear the variety of experiences and listen to lecturers in an environment and context outside of lectures. In addition to this, the round felt like a safe and open-minded environment, not only due to the assurance of confidentiality, but also due to the fact that there was no pressure to speak, which as a naturally shy and introverted person, I appreciated immensely.

Although I chose not to speak during this round, and preferred to listen, this fact may encourage me to contribute to the future rounds I will attend.

Overall, the impact that this round has had on me was significant – I now have a better understanding of the role of the nurse, and I was reminded not only of why I chose to pursue nursing, but also of how the small things that can help benefit and improve a patient’s quality of life and care. I look forward to being able to join more rounds in the future.