Week 2 – 18/02/19

This week, I started off by developing my ideas further using feedback given to me in week one with reference to the photograph’s I had taken. Some of these included:

• Female friendship
  • Fran Woodman
  • Sally Mann
  • Identity
  • Family
  • Old photos
  • Two homes
  • Work (1911 cinema)

DON McCULLIN – RESEARCH- 

Viewed the Don McCullin: Looking for England documentary.

I found the documentary very informative and interesting, I liked seeing a well known war photographer in a different, positive light. The documentary focuses on his ability to capture the ordinary, something that i wish to embed into my own work.

SALLY MANN – RESEARCH –

This week, I looked into the work of Sally Mann, particularly exploring her interpretation of family life, which inspired my second shoot. I paid close attention to the idea of sense of place and how this can be connoted through images of my own family. For me, family represents the feeling of coming home. Due to my personal family situation, it is very important to me, therefore I believe is something that can be conveyed through my photography, I was mostly intrigued by Mann’s approach to capture her family in the everyday. 

FRAN WOODMAN – RESEARCH –

I looked into Fran Woodman’s work because I was intrigued by the unique creative style she has for photography. I particularly took notice of the long shots, representing lived-in environments. From further analysis I take from the images I saw that in terms of sense of place it projects a lack of it, suggesting that someone’s sense of place is not always a location but where they are mentally, and how that effects the world around them.

OLD PHOTOS – FAMILY –

I chose to explore my family archives to see how I could embed these images into the photos I will take. My family is the most important thing to me, relating to my sense of place being associated with people. Family is part of what makes us who we are. 

In this weeks shoots I chose to develop my idea of sense of place as attached to people, this may not be what I choose to do for my final portfolio but it was a good practice of my style and compositions. It is becoming clear I love black and white photography, as well as the candid image. All of these image are taken in my home, adding to the embedded message of a sense of place. 

SHOOT 1 – WEEK 2 

FEMALE FRIENDSHIP 

SHOOT 2 – WEEK 2

FAMILY 

Comment on this post