2015 Travel and Tourism Conference
On Tuesday 27 January 2015 the School of Sport and Service Management welcomed 123 college students to the 2015 Travel and Tourism Conference.
The event took place at the University of Brighton’s Falmer campus and all participants currently study at our Compact partner colleges.
In the morning, the students were introduced to the concept and culture of university study and university life. Jo Tolley from our Widening Participation team also gave them tips and information on how to apply and what to think about when considering finance.
A group of University of Brighton student ambassadors then ran a short Q&A session to give the student eye view on what life is like as a member of our vibrant university community.
In the afternoon, participants were treated to a series of outstanding presentations from industry professionals on the travel industry, the variety of opportunities it brings and the value the industry places on a university degree.
The speakers, some who had studied here themselves, spoke positively about the benefits of having a degree in a travel/ tourism related subject, but most importantly, managed to convey an enthusiasm and positivity about their chosen profession and industries.
The afternoon concluded with a short question-and-answer session.
We would very much like to thank the following for making the day a huge success:
• Lucy Foy from Inspiring Learning
• Tim Williamson from Responsible Travel
• Reuben Westwood, who gave a fascinating insight into his career as a student and the entrepreneurial challenges of setting up his own tourism and travel business
• Matthew Morgan and Kate Mellor both of whom work for Nielson
• Jo Ellis, graduate from our travel course who is now a yield management analyst for Virgin Airways.