School of Sport and Service Management

Course Leader to read at the Cheltenham Literary Festival

Rob Steen, co-leader of the Sport Journalism BA (Hons) course, will be reading his work at the prestigious Cheltenham Literary Festival on October 3 and 4.

In addition to offering extracts from two lengthy essays for The Nightwatchman, the cricket quarterly journal published by Wisden, he will reflect on the creative process, answer questions and participate in a discussion.

The essays cover, respectively, the life and career of CLR James, the Marxist political activist, author and journalist whose 1963 book Beyond a Boundary is considered one of the finest sports books ever written, and the rivalry between Don Bradman and Walter Hammond.

“I feel incredibly honoured to have been invited to such a prestigious, world-renowned event,” says Rob, whose latest book, Floodlights and Touchlines: A History of Spectator Sport (Bloomsbury), has just been published worldwide to critical acclaim.

“To be frank, although I’ve had some experience at this sort of thing, it’ll be a bit nerve-wracking. I always tell my students to write with an ear for sound and rhythm, so this is a test of whether I adhere to my own principles. The written word and the spoken word can be very different, but I hope what I write is as easy to listen to as read.

“To be absolutely honest, though, what I’m most looking forward to is the chance to meet one of my heroes, Henry Winkler, aka The Fonz from Happy Days, who will be reading from his memoirs after my first session.”

Kerry Burnett • September 10, 2014