RSS Feed

#jiscel10 -Have a Go- recording lectures, legal considerations – Countdown 13 days –

November 3, 2010 by Robin Englebright   

Years ago when I tried to record some of my lectures to help support learners on my CAD course the biggest problems were technical. Audio was the only real possibility, and even then the quality was poor to keep the resulting file size as small as possible. I used a radio mic to solve the issues with my animated pacing delivery style, and audacity proved a boon. I learnt how to hand code the feed to make them into a podcast, and the results were uploaded using Cute FTP.

These days things are slightly easier, I can record a brief outburst using audioboo, (though not with my android phone!) or phone in to ipadio

http://boos.audioboo.fm/swf/fullsize_player.swf

But what about the legal issues?

JISC Legal recently published a well-received guidance which examines the legal implications of recording lectures, focusing mainly on the issues of copyright and consent.   This session will build upon JISC Legal’s guidance document by focusing on specific scenarios.  The scenarios will be based on enquiries we have received and will be focused on providing practical solutions to real problems. 

The Conference runs from the 23rd – 26th November 2010, BUT the pre-conference activity and reading week opens on 16th November 2010 and offers a chance to become familiar with the conference environment and try out innovative JISC projects in the ‘have-a-go’ area. 
See you there!

Book online – early registration advisable for full participation in the pre-conference week

www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/elearningpedagogy/elpconference10/booking 
Delegate fee:£50

»